There’s an increasing number of people around the world who use toilet paper, and it’s big business for your big business. Although few of us may consider the implications, or the statistics, that make toilet paper one of the no. 1 considerations for no. 2s! In this 2019 lead article from Fortune, they quote the following statistics:
“The U.S. consumes more toilet paper than any other country, almost three rolls per person each week. And the brands they choose to use aren’t sustainable, with hardwood trees being pulped to create the soft toilet paper consumers want. Following the United States’ annual use of 141 rolls of toilet paper per capita is Germany with 134 rolls and the United Kingdom with 127. Japanese consumers average 91 rolls annually, while the Chinese average just 49.” They estimate the US toilet paper market alone to be worth $31 billion. That’s one huge amount of trees and impact on the environment and the big players need to address this. Meanwhile smaller companies like ‘Who Gives a Crap‘ and ‘Cheeky Panda‘ are introducing new alternatives and they’re giving back too, by supporting charities that help people around the world with better hygiene and sanitation.
Here’s the latest and relevant articles form the news on loos and poos over the past week or so…
- I’m dreaming of a green Christmas. Toilet rolls for home made crackers…
- Scientists develop slippery toilet coating to stop poo sticking. The toilet brush need never leave its holder again. + Why this idea could save billions of litres of water!
- Latest news in Toilet Tech (following on from last weeks blog) and more posh loos and tech news – feeling flush?
- How TUSHY’s Bidets Are Cleaning Up Both Backsides and the Environment. Wash not Wipe!
- Amazon’s Dash Smart Shelf was made for the office – but it really belongs in the toilet…
- Unrolling a leading toilet paper manufacturers’ sustainability claims, and illustrating the need to address it.
- Why you may want to consider buying hemp toilet paper, let’s get to the bottom of this!
- Asian pulp giants pressed to paper over rivalry to save rainforests. Why we need open data from the industry!
- Public toilets – fair provision for women. We all know the queuing women have to put up with, what’s changing, or needs to?!
- We go through 36.5 billion toilet rolls a year – so Emma McGowan asks, ‘Are bidets worth it?’
Apologies for rather omitting any poop talk and article this week – we’ll make up for it next time + look at a few Christmas presents with a toiletty twist in next week’s blog on ‘The Daily Poo!’ Meanwhile ‘A whole lot of POO!’ can be enjoyed on this funny podcast.